Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionThis new edition contains new stories and updates from the super-heated days when fishing fleets turned king crab into fortunes, to the annual circus of Bristol Bay's monster salmon runs, to the bucolic life of the open-ocean trawler, the true stories in Fishing Up North: Stories of Luck and Loss in Alaskan Waters captures the flavor of the modern fisherman's life and fortunes in the waters off Alaska. You'll find firsthand accounts of frightening weather, good fishing, terrible fishing, great days, and sweet living from the decks of crabbers, trawlers, longliners, trollers, and gillnetters. This book and others inspired film crews to trek to Alaska and cover the crabbing seasons for reality TVshows. Commercial fishing's home ports --- Dutch Harbor, Kodiak, Naknek, Cordova, Petersburg, Sitka, and Seattle --- are classic fishing towns, where docks, bars, and even quiet living merge in colorful portraits about life on the last frontier.
- Author BiographyBrad Matsen has written about the sea and its inhabitants for forty years in books, film scripts, essays and magazine articles. Author of The New York Times Best Sellers: Titanic's Last Secrets: The Heroic Discovery of the Abyss; and Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King as well as eight other books including Planet Ocean: A Story of Life, the Sea and Dancing to the Fossil Record and The Incredible Ocean Adventure series for children. He has also written a television series, and is a speaker on global environmental issues. He has written hundreds of magazine articles for Mother Jones, Audubon, Natural History and many other publications.
- Author(s)Bradford Matsen
- PublisherGraphic Arts Center Publishing Co
- Date of Publication01/08/2012
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationPortland
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAlaska Northwest Books
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight288 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Enlarged edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.