All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis comparative analysis argues that there were four or, more likely, five major turning points of world history, whose lasting effects are being felt to this day. These turning points show striking resemblances to each other: An apparently coherent community of shared convictions and a shared way of life splits unexpectedly in two, with one section swerving off on the road to a radically new set of values. This has probably been true of the rise of motheism in opposition to the existing polytheistic rms of Oriental cultures. It has been true of the primitive Christian Church breaking away from Judaism. It was true of the Protestants breaking away from Rome. It also has been true for two secular revolutions: the independence of the United States of America inventing the republican order of representative democracy, and the Russian Revolution, when the revolutionaries decided to give up on peaceful socialism and resort to violence.
- Author BiographyGottfried Schramm held the chair of Modern and East European History at the University of Freiburg (Germany) from 1965 to 1994. He has published widely on the history of Russia, Poland, and the Balkans.
- Author(s)Gottfried Schramm
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication15/01/2014
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight580 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Translated byBryn Roberts,Bradley Schmidt
Best Selling in Textbooks
- AU $22.78New
- AU $76.89New
- AU $36.17New
- AU $29.80New
- AU $77.88New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $19.67Trending at AU $22.88
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $36.17
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.06
- AU $17.63Trending at AU $19.93
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $87.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.04
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $93.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.