All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.68
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $27.07Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.44
- AU $45.19Trending at AU $46.03
- AU $20.59Trending at AU $22.70
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the great first vels in world literature is w available in a complete, accurate English translation. Prepared by two of America's leading Verne scholars, Frederick Paul Walter and Arthur B. Evans, this edition hors t only Verne's farseeing science, but also his zest, style, and storytelling brilliance. Initially published in 1863, Five Weeks in a Balloon was the first vel in the author's Extraordinary Voyages series. It tells the tale of a 4,000-mile balloon trip over the mysterious continent of Africa, a trip that wouldn't actually take place until well into the next century. Fusing adventure, comedy, and science fiction, Five Weeks has all the key ingredients of classic Verne: sly humor and cheeky characters, an invative scientific invention, a tangled plot that's full of suspense and surprise, and visions of an unkwn realm. As part of the Early Classics of Science Fiction series, this critical edition features extensive tes, all the illustrations from the original French edition, and a complete Verne biography and bibliography. Five Weeks in a Balloon will be a prized addition to libraries and science fiction reading lists, and a must-read for Verne fans and steampunk conisseurs.
- Author BiographyJULES VERNE (1828 1905) was the first author to popularize the literary genre that has become known as science fiction. FREDERICK PAUL WALTER is the translator of eight novels by Verne. Past vice-president of the North American Jules Verne Society and a former NPR scriptwriter and reference librarian, he lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. ARTHUR B. EVANS is a professor of French at DePauw University and winner of the 2014 Cyrano prize for his scholarly contributions to the field of French science fiction. He has published numerous books and articles on Jules Verne and other early writers of French science fiction, serves as the managing editor of Science Fiction Studies, and is the general editor of Wesleyan s Early Classics of Science Fiction series.
- Author(s)Jules Verne
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Content Note81 illus.
- Weight726 g
- Width160 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byArthur B. Evans
- Translated byFrederick Paul Walter
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.