Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionDid you kw that the latest delimitation of electoral constituencies in India was carried out after a hiatus of three decades? And that the next delimitation will be held after ather three decades? What is an electoral constituency? How are its boundaries fixed? What is delimitation? Why is periodic delimitation of electoral constituencies necessary? What are the philosophical and legal underpinnings of delimiting constituencies? How do constituencies get reserved for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes? This volume addresses these and other relevant questions that lie at the heart of delimitation of electoral boundaries and have important implications for political representation. Written by some of the leading specialists and experts on the subject of delimitation, the essays discuss how the exercise of delimitation of electoral constituencies is as integral to political representation as political representation is to democracy. Far from being a tech-bureaucratic exercise, apportioning electoral divisions involves philosophical, political, legal, and practical implications. The essays explain how the process of drawing and redrawing of lines on the electoral map involves contending interests of political parties, of individual politicians, and of spatially and culturally embedded groups.
- Author BiographyMohd. Sanjeer Alam is Assistant Professor at Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, New Delhi. K. C. Sivaramakrishnan was Chairman and Research Professor at the Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi.
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication22/10/2015
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Content Note8 line drawings
- Weight480 g
- Width148 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byLate K. C. Siveramakrishnan,Mohd. Sanjeer. Alam
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.