Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionEdwin A. Abbott's satirical vella Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions, is on the surface an examination of multiple dimensions. Its author, writing anymously as A Square takes us on a fantastical trip to a completely flat, two-dimensional world whose inhabitants are geometric shapes. These shapes think that the planar world of length and width are all that exist, until one shape discovers the existence of a third physical dimension, which ultimately is expanded to the concept of a fourth. As a given shape, one's class and intelligence is determined by one's number of sides. Men are depicted as polygonal, while women are straight lines (w hang on a minute!).... Flatland illustrates marvelously the difficulty a person or group might have seeing a greater reality, or different reality, than its own. In this world of plane geometry with Euclidian Geometric shapes, each dimension can only perceive the one below it - so if one has evidence of a third, what about a fourth? Flatland has so many dimensions to it - mathematical, philosophical, social, religious - that it's hard to believe it's only 88 pages. But don't let size fool you: to grasp every element of the book will take a close reading. A brilliant exploration of higher dimensions while satirizing the social hierarchy of the Victorian caste system.
- Author(s)Edwin Abbott Abbott
- Date of Publication16/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight231 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.