All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVeda Stamps' Flexible Wings is a fictional exploration of the lives of military children. This book, written for preteens, delves into themes of sports, community support, and volunteerism as a way to help children and their families through difficult times. In Flexible Wings, Summer Stevenson is an eleven-year-old military kid who dreams of having a permanent home and swimming in the Olympics one day, just like her idol Olympian Lia Neal. But those things seem out of reach as her parents the heroes continually move the family from house to house like boxed-up toys. After their last move, she thought her life would never change, but w the moving truck is idling in front of her house again, this time taking the family to Valencia, a small town in southern California kwn for its bike trails, roller coasters, and great schools. But things aren't so great for Summer. She worries constantly that her fighter-pilot mom could be redeployed at any moment, and she struggles to make new friends, finding herself in humiliating circumstances with her neighbors. Summer sees a glimmer of hope when her parents sign her up for competitive swimming, but she turns out to be the worst swimmer on the team! Inspired by nature and drawing support from friendships both old and new, including those with Grandma Bachaan, her coaches, and other kids on the swim team, Summer seeks the courage she'll need to tackle life's challenges.
- Author BiographyAs a child growing up in New Orleans, Veda Stamps developed her lifelong love for storytelling while exchanging pen-pal letters with her cousin in California.Flexible Wings is her first full-length novel, and is inspired by her community's spirit of volunteerism and the kindness of the parents on her daughter's neighborhood swim team. She currently lives with her husband, two daughters, and three dogs in southern California, where she co-owns a community planning firm. www.vedastamps.com
- Author(s)Veda Stamps
- PublisherImo Books
- Date of Publication04/06/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintImo Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight376 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.