Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the Second World War, men of many nations - Britons, Americans, air men from the Commonwealth and Occupied Europe - and their equally determined, courageous German foes - fought and died in the skies over Europe. Reconstructing events, often from wreckage recovered, new lines of research and eyewitness accounts, Ian McLachlan presents a new selection of stories vividly describing how air men of these nations flew into history. Sometimes, when aircraft crashed, or were shot down, the remains would be quickly buried and forgotten in the turmoil of war. Decades later, these wrecks and relics can reveal their secrets to the expert investigator. Their excavation and preservation can serve as a tribute to the bravery and airman ship of their crews. By reconstructing wartime events from evidence in the wreckage, eyewitness accounts and contemporary documentation, aviation archaeologists can identify the flyers involved and shed new light on the air war over Europe during the Second World War. Aviation archaeology expert Ian McLachlan has assembled a new selection of dramatic stories, written in his highly successful style, full of human interest, recounting the last flights of aviators of many nations.
- Author BiographyIAN MCLACHLAN is an authority on the history of the wartime USAAF and is the author of Final Flights (1989), Eighth Air Force Bomber Stories (1991), Night of the Intruders (1994), USAAF Fighter Stories (1997), Eighth Air Force Bomber Stories: A New Selection (2004) and USAAF Fighter Stories: A New Selection (2005). He lives in Beccles, Suffolk.
- Author(s)Ian McLachlan
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/02/2007
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSutton Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight710 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.