All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis small but lavishly illustrated catalogue is the first in-depth study ever on silver bird-decorated spoons. Author Donald L. Fennimore, Winterthur's senior curator of metals, narrates the fascinating social, technical, and artistic tale of American silver spoons whose bowls were struck with bird images: from the dove and olive branch to the bald eagle. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, these rare and highly collectible objects of true beauty proved to be a significant vehicle for expressing t only creativity but also a new national identity. Fennimore's lucid and well-researched volume, which accompanies an exhibition of the same name at Winterthur, includes a comprehensive list of East Coast silversmiths who produced these charming objects between 1750 and 1830. Flights of Fancy surely will serve as a single point of reference for all future study of these uniquely American pieces.
- Author BiographyDONALD L. FENNIMORE is curator emeritus of metals at Winterthur.
- Author(s)Donald L. Fennimore
- PublisherWinterthur Museum & Gardens,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/11/2000
- SubjectAntiques & Collectables
- Place of PublicationWinterthur
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWinterthur Museum & Gardens,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width254 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine4 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.