All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe stunningly vibrant final vel in the bestselling Ibis TrilogyIt is 1839 and China has embargoed the trade of opium, yet too much is at stake in the lucrative business and the British Foreign Secretary has ordered the colonial government in India to assemble an expeditionary force for an attack to reinstate the trade. Among those consigned is Kesri Singh, a soldier in the army of the East India Company. He makes his way eastward on the Hind, a transport ship that will carry him from Bengal to Hong Kong. Along the way, many characters from the Ibis Trilogy come aboard, including Zachary Reid, a young American speculator in opium futures, and Shireen, the widow of an opium merchant whose mysterious death in China has compelled her to seek out his lost son. The Hind docks in Hong Kong just as war breaks out and opium pours into the market like monsoon flood. From Bombay to Calcutta, from naval engagements to the decks of a hospital ship, among embezzlement, profiteering, and espionage, Amitav Ghosh charts a breathless course through the culminating moment of the British opium trade and vexed colonial history. With all the verve of the first two vels in the trilogy, Flood of Fire completes Ghosh's unprecedented reenvisioning of the nineteenth-century war on drugs. With remarkable historic vision and a vibrant cast of characters, Ghosh brings the Opium Wars to bear on the contemporary moment with the storytelling that has charmed readers around the world.
- Author BiographyAmitav Ghosh is the internationally bestselling author of Sea of Poppies (short-listed for the Man Booker Prize) and River of Smoke, the first two novels in the Ibis Trilogy, of which Flood of Fire is the final installment. He has written ten other novels and works of nonfiction, including three essay collections. A frequent contributor to The New Yorker, The New Republic, The New York Times, and others, his work has been translated into more than twenty languages.
- Author(s)Amitav Ghosh
- PublisherFarrar, Straus and Giroux
- Date of Publication04/08/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleIbis Trilogy
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar, Straus and Giroux
- Weight862 g
- Width157 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.06
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $52.03Trending at AU $61.25
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.