All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBehavior therapists often desensitize clients by exposing them to an anxiety-eliciting stimulus such as a phobic object. The premise is that repeated exposures will eventually reduce or extinguish the fear. This process is called therapeutic exposure. Many therapists would agree that therapeutic exposure is an effective treatment for several anxiety disorders. However, the directness with which therapeutic exposure should be encouraged for a client is much debated. Many feel that direct therapeutic exposure, more commonly kwn as flooding or implosive therapy, causes clients an excessive amount of anxiety, and may therefore produce long-lasting and harmful side effects. In response to these concerns, one well-kwn behavior therapy technique, systematic desensitization, was designed to expose clients to imagined fear stimuli slowly and under relaxing conditions so as t to elicit anxiety. In the first chapter of this book, we show that these concerns are based on false assumptions. When used properly, direct therapeutic exposure is t harmful. In Chapters 2 and 3, we review the literature on the process and outcome of flooding and implosive therapy from a practical, clinical perspective. This literature shows that these treatments are effective and efficient for certain psychiatric disorders. In Chapter 4, we describe the treatments we offer our clients and show how learning theory can be used to help develop the procedure and content of therapy. Chapter 5 provides case examples with transcripts of typical therapy sessions. This book can be used as a handbook for therapists or students.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication25/11/2012
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight374 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byPatrick A. Boudewyns
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1983
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.43New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.80New
- AU $11.17Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $101.89Trending at AU $118.99
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.