All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShortlisted for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award 2014 Spectator sport is living, breathing, n-stop theatre for all. Focusing on spectator sports and their accompanying issues, tracing their origins, evolution and impact, inside the lines and beyond the boundary, this book offers a thematic history of professional sport and the ingredients that magnetise millions around the globe. It tells the stories that matter: from the gladiators of Rome to the runners of Rift Valley via the invator-missionaries of Rugby School; from multi-faceted British exports to the Americanisation of professionalism and the Indianisation of cricket. Rob Steen traces the development of these sports which captivate the turnstile millions and the mouse-clicking masses, addressing their key themes and commonalities, from creation myths to match fixing via race, politics, sexuality and internationalism. Insightful and revelatory, this is an entertaining exploration of spectator sports' intrinsic place in culture and how sport imitates life - and life imitates sport.
- Author BiographyRob Steen is a sportswriter and co-leader of the BA (Hons) Sport Journalism course at the University of Brighton. He has written for the Guardian, the Independent, the Financial Times, the Melbourne Age, the Hindustan Times, the Sunday Telegraph and Sunday Times, where he was deputy sports editor. Winner of the 1995 Cricket Society Literary award and the UK section of the 2005 EU Journalism Award for 'diversity, against discrimination', runner-up for the 1991 William Hill Sports Book of the Year, he has published over a dozen books and written for a multitude of magazines, including the Observer Sports Monthly, The Cricketer and India Today, and is also a longstanding columnist for Cricinfo.
- Author(s)Rob Steen
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication04/06/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFeatherstone Education
- Content Note8 page black and white plate section.photographs, illustrations and documents
- Weight564 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.