All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEverything you need to kw about the Paula Pryke style can be found in this practical and inspirational sourcebook. Packed with ideas, skills and techniques, Flower School enables you to explore the latest trends in floral design by assimilating Paula's signature style of cutting-edge floristry. On mastering the basic techniques and elements of good floral design you will be able to recreate the essence of Paula's flowers at home or for a special event, develop your own style, and in time, become a serious floral artist. Flower School's simple text and step-by-step instructions for a broad range of stunning projects make even the most ambitious floral design achievable. The rasion d'etre of any flower arrangement is the starting point for every floral designer. Flowers are always sent, given or displayed to convey personal messages or to create an ambience. Effective floral design means ensuring that the material, the design and the location are harmonious. Composition, colour, form and function represent the crucial formulae for success. Paula demystifies the seemingly complex layers of skill needed to replicate her dynamic range of designs; she explains each lesson in turn, with beautiful arrangements shown as visual examples: understanding rhythm and repetition; scale and proportion; balance and harmony; colour, season and contrast and the use of foliage. Each lesson is a natural building block to gaining personal confidence and ability in floral arranging. As well as showcasing Paula's signature designs, Flower School provides ermous creative scope with an impressive selection of floral ideas that can be adapted to suit a host of special occasions, from the intimate to the grand in scale. A seasonal flower directory concludes the book and provides quick reference for blooms all the year round. Flower School makes good floral design enjoyable and rewarding for everyone.
- Author BiographyPaula Pryke is a world-renowned florist who has been based in London for the last 24 years. In 1998 she fulfilled her dream of opening a little flower shop in Islington and began to attract some very interesting and influential customers. Rock stars such as George Harrison would send their chauffeur to collect flowers, Comedians such as Paul Whitehouse, Kathy Burke and Stephen Fry became fans, actors and actresses would call by the shop or phone and order flowers. At that time Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet lived up the road and would call in to pick flowers from the vast collection that Paula had on offer. Artists, Photographers and lots of local people raved about the shop. One day Paula got a call from Terence Conran's office saying he was going to call in to meet her. Ilse Crawford, who was then Editor of Elle Decoration, recommended Paula to Terence. He came into her original shop in Islington and complimented her on having The nicest flower shop outside of Paris! That meeting spurned a huge London contract flower business as Terence began his restaurant empire. About the same time, Paula was asked by one of her local customers if she would like to publish a book. This started an enduring and successful relationship with Jacqui Small, who has published all of Paula's books, including her recently released 15th title, Everyday Flowers. These books have been translated into over 15 languages including Hebrew, Russian and Japanese. The success of Paula's books worldwide raised the profile of floristry globally. At first Paula's style was embraced in Japan and America but more recently she has also been working and influencing floral design in Korea, China, India and South America. Paula is still very hands-on, with a small and talented team working from her studio in Islington, London. Here they execute contract flowers, gift orders, weddings and events. Flowers have taken Paula all over the world and she is constantly in demand to work, advise or demonstrate her art. Over the last two decades, Paula had worked on many diverse consultancy projects but all with the same aim of bringing her love of flowers to a wider audience. She has been a consultant at different times for all three of the major supermarkets in the UK and currently works with Waitrose, whose flowers she considers to be the best. In America she has worked on window design and flower shows with retail giants such as Target, Marshall Fields, (now Macy's) in Chicago and she currently works for Crystal Cruises as a floral consultant and as part of their enrichment program. Back at home she has worked on diverse projects ranging from colour forecasting for Dulux paints to designs for wallpapers, vases and even scents for perfume. Paula also contributes to many lifestyle magazines and is constantly asked to comment on radio and TV on floral taste and fashion. Demand from around the world to learn Paula's flower style led her to establish The Paula Pryke Flower School in 1994. Paula originally trained as a history teacher so she is a natural communicator, infectiously spreading her love of flowers. When not traveling, Paula spends her time between her studio in London and her Suffolk country garden that features in her latest book Flowers Everyday. She is married to Peter, an Architect, and they have two children.
- Author(s)Paula Pryke
- PublisherJacqui Small LLP
- Date of Publication27/01/2006
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJacqui Small LLP
- Content Note200 colour photos
- Width235 mm
- Height280 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $32.31Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.