All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe end of the Second World War t only brought peace to a war-weary population but also delivered a plethora of surplus transport aircraft, crew and engineers, which could be easily and cheaply repurposed to 'lift' the mood of the British population. The dream of sun-drenched beaches in exotic places suddenly became a reality for thousands of pioneering tourists taking advantage of the air-travel revolution of the 1950s. From their humble beginnings flying holidaymakers to campsites in Corsica in war-surplus Dakota aircraft to today's flights across the globe in wide-bodied Airbuses, Flying To The Sun narrates the development of Britain's love-hate relationship with holiday charter airlines. Whilst many readers today will be more familiar with names like Ryanair and Easyjet than Clarksons or Dan-Air, this charming book serves as a fond reminder of those enterprising airlines and companies that ushered a new age of travel.
- Author BiographyCharles Woodley is a lifelong aviation enthusiast who first visited Gatwick in 1958. He is the author of several books and many magazine articles on historical aviation subjects, including the successful Heathrow: The First 50 Years and BOAC: A History for The History Press. A long-time member of Air-Britain, he founded and ran for over ten years the Grampian Airtouring Society, the local aviation enthusiasts society for the Aberdeenshire area. He lives in Aberdeenshire.
- Author(s)Charles Woodley
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication02/03/2016
- SubjectAircraft & Spacecraft: General Interest
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note140 black & white illustrations, 16 colour illustrations, 8 colour plates
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.