All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book describes the reaction of the common people to some of the tumultuous events which occurred in Northamptonshire and shaped England's history, and how this gave rise to many colorful folklore traditions. Especially rich in dialect, vocabulary, legends, and wondrous stories that have been handed down through the ages, the character of Northamptonshire and its people is firmly rooted in its folklore. There are tales of literary folk and blemen, but always at the heart of Northamptonshire's folklore are the traditional beliefs, stories, events and customs of the common people. Daily life itself contained numerous beliefs and maxims, omens and superstitions - often based on fear of the uncertain - as well as being full of music and verse, dance and song. These delightful, revealing and sometimes fanciful traditions have remained hidden until w.
- Author BiographyDr Peter Hill is a lecturer in adult and higher education and a folklore historian. He has written, lectured and broadcast extensively on the customs, traditions and folklore of Britain and Europe, with a particular focus on Northamptonshire. In September 1999 he was awarded a certificate in recognition of his Services to Local History in Northamptonshire.
- Author(s)Peter Hill
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/06/2005
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTempus Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight560 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.