Following Whispers: Walking on the Rooftop of the World in Nepal's Himalayas by Dan Thompson (Paperback / softback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.47Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.29Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHelp support Nepal's earthquake recovery! Since 2013, 66% of Following Whispers royalties are invested directly back into Nepal. One of the last written accounts of the lower Annapurna Circuit before it was changed forever by road development. In 2007 Dan Thompson, an Iraq War veteran turned magazine editor, accepted an unexpected invitation from a family friend to visit Nepal. The opportunity to realize a boyhood dream first inspired on the pages of National Geographic Magazine becomes reality when he and his wife Nora arrive in Kathmandu comically over-prepared. Despite his military and travel experience, the out-of-shape traveler finds himself disoriented and dependent on the kindness of complete strangers, including two young men who guide him along the famous Annapurna Circuit. Together, they explore holy temples high in the Himalayas, compete with donkey trains for precious space along the world's deepest ravine, and save a woman from the brink of death. Along the way, they meet emaciated medicine men, colorful grandmas on pilgrimage, and an unfortunate series of frostbitten and aloof western tourists like refugees among the peaks. From laugh-out-loud misadventures with a parasite, to insightful discussions about Nepal's future, Thompson weaves themes of globalization, religion, development aid, and friendship into what is part adventure story, and part coming to terms with post-Iraq War life. In the end, he finds the answers to questions he has been searching for all along while following the beckoning whispers of his heart. Includes over 20 photos, recipes of traditional foods mentioned in the book, maps, and more. Each book purchased helps support sustainable tourism in Nepal. Purchases will be matched to support book sales in Nepal by Nepalese in local shops to raise funds for sustainable tourism and education through a partnership with Tourism Development Endeavors (TUDE). For more information, visit www.facebook.com/followingwhispers.
- Author BiographyDan Thompson served as a combat soldier in Iraq from 2003 through 2004 with the First Armored Division. Since then, he has served for more than seven years overseas in Asia and Europe in the Unites States Civil Service. A fellow of the Royal Geographical Society of London and graduate of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, he has been awarded the Superior Civilian Service Award by the United States Army for services rendered in Seoul, South Korea. He lives in Heidelberg, Germany with his wife Nora.
- Author(s)Dan Thompson
- Date of Publication19/12/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight327 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.