All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
About this product
- DescriptionThe perception of Ethiopia projected in the media is often one of chronic poverty and hunger, but this bleak assessment does t accurately reflect most of the country today. Ethiopia encompasses a wide variety of agroecologies and peoples. Its agriculture sector, ecomy, and food security status are equally complex. In fact, since 2001 the per capita income in certain rural areas has risen by more than 50 percent, and crop yields and availability have also increased. Higher investments in roads and mobile phone techlogy have led to improved infrastructure and thereby greater access to markets, commodities, services, and information. In Food and Agriculture in Ethiopia: Progress and Policy Challenges, Paul Dorosh and Shahidur Rashid, along with other experts, tell the story of Ethiopia's political, ecomic, and agricultural transformation. The book is designed to provide empirical evidence to shed light on the complexities of agricultural and food policy in today's Ethiopia, highlight major policies and interventions of the past decade, and provide insights into building resilience to natural disasters and food crises. It examines the key issues, constraints, and opportunities that are likely to shape a food-secure future in Ethiopia, focusing on land quality, crop production, adoption of high-quality seed and fertilizer, and household income. Students, researchers, policy analysts, and decisionmakers will find this book a useful overview of Ethiopia's political, ecomic, and agricultural transformation as well as a resource for major food policy issues in Ethiopia. Contributors: Dawit Alemu, Guush Berhane, Jordan Chamberlin, Sarah Coll-Black, Paul Dorosh, Berhanu Gebremedhin, Sinafikeh Asrat Gemessa, Daniel O. Gilligan, John Graham, Kibrom Tafere Hirfrfot, John Hodditt, Adam Kennedy, Neha Kumar, Mehrab Malek, Linden McBride, Dawit Kelemework Mekonnen, Asfaw Negassa, Shahidur Rashid, Emily Schmidt, David Spielman, Alemayehu Seyoum Taffesse, Seneshaw Tamiru, James Thurlow, William Wiseman.
- Author BiographyPaul Dorosh is director of the Development Strategy and Governance Division at the International Food Policy Research Institute and led IFPRI's Ethiopia Strategy Support Program in Addis Ababa from 2009 to 2011. Shahidur Rashid is a senior research fellow in the Markets, Trade, and Institutions Division of the International Food Policy Research Institute and conducted research in Addis Ababa from 2006 to 2011.
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2013
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Content Note104 illus.
- Weight748 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Edited byPaul A. Dorosh,Shahidur Rashid
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.