All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCompletely redesigned for today's generation of cooks and food enthusiasts, this 25th Anniversary Edition provides a treasure trove of recipes, along with an immersive cultural experience for those seeking to understand this ancient and timeless cuisine. This edition is a more user-friendly edition of the award-winning and critically acclaimed cookbook series which began in 1986. The book provides 330 classical and regional Iranian recipes as well as an introduction to Persian art, history and culture. The book's hundreds of full-colour photographs are intertwined with descriptions of ancient and modern Persian ceremonies, poetry, folktales, travelogue excerpts and anecdotes. This edition is a labour of love. The book began in exile after the Iranian Revolution of 1979 as a love letter to Batmanglij's children. Today, as accomplished adults in their own fields, her two sons, Zal and Rostam, encouraged her to redesign the book for their generation. Food of Life propels Persian cooking into the 21st Century, even as it hours venerable traditions and centuries of artistic expression. It is the result of 30 years of collecting, testing and adapting authentic and traditional Persian recipes for the American kitchen. Most of its ingredients are readily available throughout the U.S. enabling anyone from a master chef to a vice to reproduce the refined tastes, textures, and beauty of Persian cuisine. Food-related pieces from such classics as the 10th century Book of Kings, and 1,001 Nights to the miniatures of Mir Mosavvar and Aq Mirak, from the poetry of Omar Khayyam and Sohrab Sepehri to the humour of Mulla Nasruddin are all included. Each recipe is presented with steps that are logical and easy to follow. Readers learn how to simply yet deliciously cook rice, the jewel of Persian cooking, which, when combined with a little meat, fowl, or fish, vegetables, fruits, and herbs, provides the perfect balanced diet. This 25th Anniversary Edition contains 50% more pages than its 2009 predecessor and special added features: New Recipes adapted from Sixteenth-Century Persian cookbooks; Added vegetarian section for most recipes; Comprehensive dictionary of all ingredients; A glance at a few thousand years of the history of Persian Cooking; Master recipes with photographs illustrating the steps; Colour photographs of most recipes with tips on presentation; Updated section on Persian stores and Internet suppliers; Fahrenheit and Centigrade temperatures for all recipes; Choices for cooking recipes such as kuku in oven or on stovetop; Encourages use of seasonal and local ingredients from farmers markets, Community Supported Agriculture (CSAs) sources or one's own backyard.
- Author BiographyNAJMIEH BATMANGLIJ was born and raised in Tehran, Iran. She received her Masters degree in the U.S., and has spent the last 25 years traveling through much of the ancient Silk Road region where she has worked with regional chefs and home cooks adapting authentic recipes to tastes and techniques in the West. She is the leading authority of Persian cuisine and the author of five cookbooks, including the best selling New Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies described by the Los Angeles Times as the definitive Persian cookbook. She is a member of Les Dames d'Escoffier and has given lectures and taught cooking at a number of venues, including: The Culinary Institute of America, The International Association of Culinary Professionals, Harvard University, L'Academie de Cuisine, and The Smithsonian Institution. She lives in Washington, DC, where she teaches master classes in Persian and Silk Road cooking.
- Author(s)Najmieh Batmanglij
- PublisherMage Publishers
- Date of Publication05/04/2011
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMage Publishers
- Content Note330 colour photos
- Weight2354 g
- Width245 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine45 mm
- Edition Statement25th Anniversary edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.