All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt last, here is a graduate-level textbook that focuses on the very latest information on the molecular and cellular mechanism of several major foodborne bacterial pathogens. For the first time in the field, this book makes the link between foodborne illness and immulogy. It also covers virulence genes and their regulation in the host or the food environment, pathogenicity testing models, clinical symptoms and prevention and control strategies. Unlike other textbooks this one also covers the host/parasite interaction to a level where readers have a real appreciation of the disease mechanism. It is imperative that we acquire a better understanding of foodborne pathogens. And this is what this brilliant and timely contribution to the subject offers.
- Author BiographyArun K. Bhunia, B.V.Sc., Ph.D., is a professor of molecular food microbiology in the Department of Food Science at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana. Prof. Bhunia received his PhD from University of Wyoming. He received his Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswa Vidyalaya (currently West Bengal University of Fishery and Animal Sciences), West Bengal, India. He received his postdoctoral training from University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR, in 1994 and then joined Alabama A&M University as an Assistant Professor in 1995. In 1998, he joined the Department of Food Science at Purdue University. He teaches two graduate level courses: Microbial Foodborne Pathogen - this course deals with mechanism of pathogenesis of foodborne pathogens and toxins and the host immune response to infections. Microbial Techniques for Food Pathogen is a laboratory course that incorporates rapid methods employing immunoassays, genetic and biosensor tools. In addition, he co-directs a graduate level seminar course - Gut Microbiology Journal Club. He conducts research in the area of foodborne pathogens with major emphasis on pathogen detection utilizing biosensor, cell-based sensor, immunosensor, immunoassays and genetic tools. The primary target organisms are Listeria monocytogenes, Escherichia coli, Salmonella, and Bacillus cereus. In addition, he conducts research to investigate pathogenic mechanism especially the intestinal phase of infection for Listeria monocytogenes. He is also involved in developing mammalian cell culture-based rapid assays for foodborne pathogens. His research has been funded by grants from US Department of Agriculture, National Science Foundation, and Center for Food Safety Engineering at Purdue University. To date, Prof. Bhunia has published 86 refereed and 21 proceedings articles, coauthored a text book Fundamental Food Microbiology, 4th Edition, CRC Press, and co-edited two books (Foodborne Pathogens: Microbiology and Molecular Biology, 2005; Caister Academic Press, and The Science of Homeland Security, 2006, Purdue University Press). He has written eight book chapters, and presented over 100 presentations in national and international meetings or institutions. He is a member of American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Society for Microbiology, Institute of Food Technologists, and Society for Photo Optical Engineers, and he currently serves as editorial board member for two refereed journals; Journal of Food Protection, Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment. In 2003, Prof. Bhunia received a prestigious Purdue Agricultural Research Award, in 2005, he was selected as University Faculty Scholar and his research team received 2006 Agriculture Team Award from Purdue University.
- Author(s)Arun Bhunia
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication25/11/2010
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Series TitleFood Science Text Series
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight566 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement1st ed. Softcover of orig. ed. 2008
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.