All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFour of Australia's most interesting religious - and anti-religious - thinkers come together to ask and answer the big questions, such as: What is the nature of the universe? What is a good life? How do we account for evil? and Where do we find hope? Along the way we are introduced to the detail of different belief systems - Judaism, Christianity, Islam - and to the argument that atheism, like organised religion, has its own compelling logic. This is a fascinating exercise in comparative religion and a philosophical tour de force, but also an entertaining and honest insight into the life events that led each author to their current position. Antony Lowenstein is proudly culturally Jewish but vehemently anti-orthodox. Jane Caro flirted briefly with spiritual belief, inspired by 19th century literary heroines such as Elizabeth Gaskell and the Bronte sisters. Rachael Woodlock grew up in the alternative embrace of Baha'i belief but chose Islam as the religion that would best support her into adulthood. Simon Smart is firmly and resolutely a Christian, but one who has his most profound spiritual moments while surfing. Provocative, informative and passionately argued, For God's Sake encourages us to accept religious differences but to also challenge more vigorously the beliefs that create discord.
- Author BiographyJane Caro is an author, novelist, columnist, speaker, broadcaster, enthusiastic tweeter and award winning advertising writer. Antony Loewenstein is an independent Australian journalist, photographer and blogger. He is the author of two bestselling books, My Israel Question and The Blogging Revolution and co-editor of Left Turn and After Zionism. Simon Smart is a Director of the Centre for Public Christianity. He has years of experience writing and editing both academic curricula and popular books. Rachel Woodlock, M.Islam.Std. (Melb), is an academic and writer specialising in Islam and Muslims in the West.
- Author(s)Antony Loewenstein,Jane Caro,Rachel Woodlock,Simon Smart
- PublisherPan Macmillan Australia
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintMacmillan Australia
- Weight451 g
- Width155 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.