All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs Sam Karff approached his eightieth birthday, he embarked on a life review. For This You Were Created chronicles the life of a gifted rabbi who ministered to congregations Sinai in Chicago and Beth Israel in Houston for over forty years, and has since come out of retirement twice to provide insight and compassion in the fields of relational medicine and social justice. Here, Karff delves into the nuanced reasons he decided to become a rabbi and addresses the question of calling, as it affects everyone. Although he candidly shares his experiences of personal struggle and regret, he emerges from the pages as a man who feels very blessed. His life s work began as a convergence of skills, interest and values but became in time L chach tsarta the ancient rabbi s understanding that there are certain moments when your work makes you feel for this you were created. Karff followed his calling to become a leader in the Reform movement and then an influential voice in interfaith conversations, in Houston and nationally. Through anecdotes, interpretation and excerpts from his sermons and books, For This You Were Created illuminates the life of an extraordinary man, a momentous time in American Judaism and the importance of discovering spiritual significance in our work. Those familiar with him whether as family, friend, congregant, student or colleague will delight in the riches of understanding he shares here, and those who have t had the pleasure of kwing Sam Karff will discover the warmth of a dear friend and the inspiration of a revered teacher. Indeed, for this he was created.
- Author BiographyFor twenty-four years Samuel E. Karff was Senior Rabbi of Beth Israel, the oldest Jewish congregation in Texas. He received his AB degree from Harvard magna cum laude and was ordained and earned his doctoral degree from Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. When he retired in 1999 after forty years as a congregational rabbi, he joined the faculty of the University of Texas Medical School, where he created and taught courses on the non-biomedical or spiritual dimension of being a healing physician. He is the author of three books and contributed the chapters on Judaism to Religions of the World, a text used in over 200 campuses in this country and abroad. For twenty-two years, Rabbi Karff taught in the religious studies department of Rice University and is a past president of the Central Conference of American Rabbis. In retirement, he partners with Reverend William Bill Lawson and Archbishop Joseph A. Fiorenza on issues of criminal justice reform. He and his wife, Joan, live in Houston. They have three daughters and seven grandchildren.
- Author(s)University Samuel E Karff
- PublisherBright Sky Press
- Date of Publication09/11/2015
- SubjectBiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBright Sky Press
- Weight748 g
- Width157 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.