All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing campaigning fifty years ago, the Albemarle Report established the first modern Youth Service. This is w being dismantled and this passionate and polemical book calls for a new culture for youth work, drawing on the best of youth work's past. Doug Nicholls, a professional and trade union leader of youth workers for over thirty years, identifies what youth workers have achieved and which major changes must take place if their practice is to keep up with the radically altered world. The book distils the author's unique and extensive experience to look at the political and ecomic contexts, and the new disorder of inequality. Against these he sets the ideas of youth work and public services and the struggles for them. He argues for a new self awareness amongst youth workers on class, professionalism, trade unionism, socialism and the state. He redefines reflective practice, leadership and completely debunks the idea of positive activities as a diversion from political education. This accessible and challenging book is essential reading for students and practitioners and policy makers.
- Author BiographyDoug Nicholls has been a professional and trade union leader of youth workers for over thirty years. He has written extensively on the history of unionisation in the sector and youth work, and produced unique publications on key issues in practice. His advocacy for youth work and youth workers throughout the UK and Ireland have put him in the forefront of debates about theory and practice and much of this experience is distilled into this new publication.
- Author(s)Doug Nicholls
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication14/09/2012
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.34
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $23.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.