All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy teach about religion in public schools? What educational value can such courses potentially have for students? In For the Civic Good , Walter Feinberg and Richard A. Layton offer an argument for the contribution of Bible and world religion electives. The authors argue that such courses can, if taught properly, promote an essential aim of public education: the construction of a civic public, where strangers engage with one ather in building a common future. The humanities serve to awaken students to the significance of interpretive and analytic skills, and religion and Bible courses have the potential to add a reflective element to these skills. In so doing, students awaken to the fact of their own interpretive framework and how it influences their understanding of texts and practices. The argument of the book is developed by reports on the authors' field research, a two-year period in which they observed religion courses taught in various public high schools throughout the country, from the Bible Belt to the suburban parkway. They document the problems in teaching religion courses in an educationally appropriate way, but also illustrate the argument for a humanities-based approach to religion by providing real classroom models of religion courses that advance the skills critical to the development of a civic public.
- Author BiographyWalter Feinberg is Charles D. Hardie Professor of Philosophy of Education (emeritus) at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, USA. Richard A. Layton is Associate Professor in the Department of Religion at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, USA.
- Author(s)Richard A. Layton,Walter Feinberg
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleNew Public Scholarship Series
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.