For the Love of God and People: A Philosophy of Jewish Law by Elliot N. Dorff (Hardback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $43.78Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $45.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEvery generation of Jews in every demination of Judaism finds itself facing complex legal questions. The status of same-sex unions and the plight of the agunah (a woman who cant obtain a divorce), are just two of a myriad of thorny questions Jewish legal experts grapple with today. These are t esoteric problems but issues with a profound impact on the daily happiness of countless people. How do the rabbis who draft responses to these questions reach their conclusions? What informs their decisions and their approach to Jewish law? Acclaimed writer and legal expert Elliot Dorff addresses these and other questions in this intelligent, accessible guide to the philosophy behind Jewish law. In his view, Jewish law is an expression of the love we have for God and for our fellow human beings. This theme permeates his discussion of important aspects of the law. For example, what motivates modern Jews to follow Jewish law? How does Jewish law strike the balance between continuity and change? On what grounds and under what circumstances do human beings have the authority to interpret or even change God's laws? Dorff also offers a systematic comparison of Jewish law and U.S. law, based on his course on this subject at UCLA School of Law. Whether you are a lawyer or simply interested in the philosophy behind recent rabbinic decisions, this is a book that will deepen your understanding of the Jewish legal system and its role in the modern world.
- Author BiographyElliot N. Dorff, Rabbi (Jewish Theological Seminary), PhD (Columbia University), is rector and Sol and Anne Dorff Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at the American Jewish University (formerly the University of Judaism) in Los Angeles. Among the twelve books he has written are four award-winning books on Jewish ethics and law published by The Jewish Publication Society: Matters of Life and Death (1998) on Jewish medical ethics; To Do the Right and the Good (2002) on Jewish social ethics; Love Your Neighbor and Yourself on Jewish personal ethics; and For the Love of God and People: A Philosophy of Jewish Law (2007). He has also edited 10 books, including Contemporary Jewish Ethics and Morality (Oxford, 1995) and Contemporary Jewish Theology (Oxford, 1999), co-edited by Louis Newman, who also co-edited with Dorff the first three volumes of the Jewish Choices, Jewish Voices series. Since 1984, Rabbi Dorff has served on the Rabbinical Assembly's Committee on Jewish Law and Standards, and has served as its Chair since 2007. He has also served on several federal advisory commissions dealing with the ethics of health care, sexual responsibility, and research on human subjects. He is a member of the State of California's Ethics Committee on embryonic stem cell research. He is married to Marlynn, and they have four children and seven grandchildren.
- Author(s)Elliot N. Dorff
- PublisherJewish Publication Society
- Date of Publication01/12/2007
- SubjectLaw for the Layman
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJewish Publication Society
- Weight594 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.