All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 2014, a former hedge fund trader's New York Times Sunday Review front page article about wealth addiction instantly went viral. This is his unflinching memoir about coming of age on Wall Street, fighting to overcome the ghosts of his past and the radical new way he w defines success. At just thirty years old, Sam Polk was a senior trader for one of the biggest hedge funds on Wall Street, on the verge of making it to the very top. When he was offered an annual bonus of $3.75 million, he grew angry because it was t eugh. In that moment he knew he had lost himself in his obsessive pursuit of money. And he had come to loathe the culture, the shallowness, the sexism, the crude machismo and Wall Street's use of wealth as the sole measure of a person's worth. He decided to walk away from it all. For Polk, becoming a Wall Street trader was the fulfilment of his dreams. But in reality it was just the culmination of a life of addictive and self-destructive behaviours, from overeating, to bulimia, to alcohol and drug abuse. His obsessive pursuit of money papered over years of insecurity and emotional abuse. Making money was just the latest attempt to fill the void left by his narcissist and emotionally unavailable father. As in Liar's Poker, Polk brings readers into the rarefied world of Wall Street trading floors, capturing the modern frustrations of young graduates drawn to Wall Street. Raw, vivid, and immensely readable, For the Love of Money explores the birth of a young hedge fund trader, his disillusionment, and the radical new way he has come to define success.
- Author BiographyFormer hedge fund trader Sam Polk is a writer; cofounder and CEO of Everytable, a social enterprise that sells fresh, delicious meals at prices everyone can afford; and the founder and executive director of Groceryships, a nonprofit that helps low-income families struggling with obesity. Polk graduated from Columbia University in 2002 with a BA in English and holds the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Designation. His writing has been published in The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Huffington Post, and CNBC.com. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and their daughter. For the Love of Money is his first book.
- Author(s)Sam Polk
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication11/08/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- Weight444 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $32.31Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.