All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionFor theorists in search of a political theology that is more responsive to the challenges w facing Western democracies, this book tenders a new political ecomy anchored in a theory of value. The political theology of the future, Carl Raschke argues, must draw on a powerful, hidden impetus-the force of God -to frame a new value ecomy. It must also embrace a radical, faith-based revolutionary style of theory that reconceives the power of the theological in political thought and action. Raschke ties democracy's retreat to the West's failure to confront its decadence and mobilize its vast spiritual resources. Worsening debt, rising unemployment, and gross income inequality have led to a crisis in political representation and values that twentieth-century theorists never anticipated. Drawing on the thought of Hegel and Nietzsche as well as recent work by Michel Foucault, Jacques Derrida, Jean-Joseph Goux, Giorgio Agamben, and Alain Badiou, among others, Raschke recasts political theology for a new generation. He proposes a bold, uncompromising critical theory that ackwledges the enduring significance of Marx without his materialism and builds a vital, more spiritually grounded relationship between politics and the religious imaginary.
- Author BiographyCarl Raschke is professor of religious studies at the University of Denver, specializing in Continental philosophy, the philosophy of religion, and the theory of religion. He is the author of Fire and Roses: Postmodernity and the Thought of the Body, GloboChrist, and Postmodernism and the Revolution in Religious Theory. Cofounder of the Global Art & Ideas Network, he is senior editor of the Journal for Cultural and Religious Theory and current events editor for Political Theology Today.
- Author(s)Carl A. Raschke
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication08/09/2015
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleInsurrections: Critical Studies in Religion, Politics, and Culture
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.