All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.84Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.73Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionSpanning several years of research, this book compares and contrasts how public and commercial TV stations present foreign, domestic, and hybrid news from a number of different countries. It examines what viewers of television news think about foreign news, their interest in it, and what sense they make of it. The book also assesses what the gatekeepers of foreign news - journalists, producers, and editors - think about what they produce, and about their viewers. This book shows that while globalization is a dominant force in society, and though news can be instantaneously broadcast internationally, there is relatively little commonality throughout the world in the depiction of events occurring in other countries. Thus, contrary to McLuhan's famous but untested tion of the global village , television news in the countries discussed in this book actually presents more variability than similarity. The research gathered here is based on a quantitative content analysis of over 17,000 news items and analysis of over 10,000 survey respondents. Seventeen countries are included in this research, offering a rich comparative perspective on the topic.
- Author BiographyAkiba A. Cohen (PhD, Michigan State University) is Professor (Emeritus) of Communication at TelAviv University and is currently the Chair of the Department of Communication and Director of the Research Division at the Yezreel Valley College, Israel. He is a Fellow and a former president of the International Communication Association. Among his coauthored books are News Around the World: Content, Practitioners and the Public (2006) and Global Newsrooms, Local Audiences: A Study of the Eurovision News Exchange (1996).
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication31/05/2013
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edited byAkiba A. Cohen
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.