All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
About this product
- DescriptionBefore cameras were common, visitors to Mount Desert Island had to remember the beauty of the landscape through postcards. In this book, readers will be transported back in time to the Golden Age of Acadia, Mount Desert Island, and Bar Harbor, when the Rockefellers strolled the streets and carriage roads were actually used for carriages. These antique postcards were once collected and treasured, kept as mementoes and displayed for guests. While digital photography has replaced the postcard as the preferred way to share vacation memories, readers will enjoy traveling through time with registered Maine guide and author Earl Brechlin. Alongside each image, Brechlin provides illuminating details, tidbits of Maine lore, and information about how modern day Mount Desert Island compares with the scenic postcard. This fascinating collection of postcards and stories will appeal to history buffs, outdoor enthusiasts, and anyone who has been swept away by the magic of the Maine landscape.
- Author BiographyEarl Brechlin is an author, journalist, and registered Maine Guide who lives in Bar Harbor. Born in Connecticut, Brechlin returned to Maine to live after high school, or in his words, \ as soon as I could.\ For more than thirty-five years, Brechlin has been exploring the Maine wilderness, taking photographs, and gathering material for his articles and books. He is the author of four Maine and New England history books based on antique postcards, as well as field guides to Maine and Mount Desert Island. The editor of the MDI Islander, he knows the forests and mountains of his beloved island like the back of his hand. His photographs and articles have appeared in Newsweek, The New York Times, Down East Magazine, The Maine Sportsman, and in various Appalachian Mountain Club books and magazines. He lives on Mount Desert Island, surrounded by the wilds of Acadia National Park, with his wife and travel companion, Roxie.
- Author(s)Earl Brechlin
- PublisherIslandport Press
- Date of Publication09/06/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIslandport Press
- Weight204 g
- Width137 mm
- Height175 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.