All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn March 1982, Argentina surprised the world by invading the Falkland Islands in the Atlantic Ocean. The tiny islands had long been the subject of a fierce territorial dispute between Argentina and the UK, and the occupation quickly escalated into a terrifying full-blown conflict between the two countries. Often referred to as a forgotten war, the Falklands conflict was, in actual fact, the first war of the modern age, using satellite surveillance, night observation devices, and all the very latest weaponry military techlogy had to offer. It was also the first real media war - the public's perception of this far-off conflict mediated by what they saw on their television screens and read in their newspapers. Objective analysis on both sides took a back seat to the politics of expediency and crude appeals to nationalism. Drawing upon the vast resources of the Imperial War Museum's Sound Archive, and containing previously unpublished material, Forgotten Voices of the Falklands War presents the first complete oral history of the Falklands War. From the initial invasion of the islands to the British landings to the Argentinean surrender and its aftermath, the book is a unique and essential chronicle of the conflict from all sides and perspectives, told in the participants' own voices. Hugh McManners, who himself fought in the Falklands War, has created the definitive oral history book on the subject.
- Author BiographyHugh McManners was a captain in 148 Commando Forward Observation Battery, serving with the Special Boat Squadron during the Falklands War. He joined the British Army in 1972 and in 1975 was sponsored by them to read Geography at Oxford University. He subsequently spent thirteen years with 3 Commando Brigade before leaving the army in 1989. He is now a television documentary producer, freelance writer and editor of Command magazine.
- Author(s)Hugh McManners
- Date of Publication21/06/2007
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRandom House Audiobooks
- Weight542 g
- Width145 mm
- Height127 mm
- Spine75 mm
- Read bySean Barrett
- Contained items statementContains 3 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Edition StatementAbridged edition
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $33.47Trending at AU $39.19
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.49
- AU $18.31Trending at AU $19.58
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $44.96
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $35.28
- AU $29.61Trending at AU $31.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.