All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA quick and accurate tour guide to Florida's military past This comprehensive book of Florida forts will shock readers with its historical insight and depth. A must-read for anyone planning a vacation to any of Florida's iconic historical landmarks. --Matthew J. Clavin, author of Toussaint Louverture and the American Civil War Florida's military past is multi-layered and few books can match this one in demonstrating the complexity of its dimensions. --Joe Knetsch, author of Fear and Anxiety on the Florida Frontier Because of its extensive coastline--the longest of any state--Florida has always been at the forefront of U.S. military defense. The state's unique military history is revealed in its forts and outposts and in the museums maintained at those sites today. This vivid guidebook focuses on those places that offer more than a simple historical marker to visitors. While there are numerous sites that have been important in the state's military history, Forts of Florida highlights the twenty-four locations that still have existing features, whether ruins, reconstructions, or preserved structures. All are open to the public, and many are among the state's most popular tourist destinations, including Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine, Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas, and the Air Museum at the Pensacola Air Station. Accompanied by historic and contemporary photographs, maps, and engravings, each entry discusses the architecture and context of the site in relation to Florida and U.S. history. The thorough background descriptions will benefit those planning first-time trips, as well as those who have long enjoyed visiting these sites.
- Author BiographyRodney Carlisle, professor emeritus of history at Rutgers University, is the author and editor of over thirty books including Sovereignty at Sea: U.S. Merchant Ships and American Entry into World War I. Loretta Carlisle is a professional photographer whose images have been published in a wide number of book series.
- Author(s)K. Cochrane,Rodney P. Carlisle
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication15/03/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight390 g
- Width137 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.