All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1872, China-ravaged by poverty, population growth, and aggressive European armies-sent 120 boys to America to learn the secrets of Western invation. They studied at New England's finest schools and were driven by a desire for progress and reform. When anti-Chinese fervor forced them back home, the young men had to overcome a suspicious imperial court and a country deeply resistant to change in techlogy and culture. Fortunate Sons tells a remarkable story, weaving together the dramas of personal lives with the fascinating tale of a nation's endeavor to become a world power.
- Author BiographyLiel Leibovitz is a senior writer for Tablet magazine and teaches at New York University. He is the coauthor of Fortunate Sons, Lili Marlene, and The Chosen Peoples. He lives in New York City. Matthew Milleris the co-author of Lili Marlene: The Soldiers' Song of World War II. He lives in New York.
- Author(s)Liel Leibovitz,Matthew Miller
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication22/08/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Note40 illustrations
- Weight270 g
- Width142 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.