All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionJean-Roger Vergnaud's work on the foundational issues in linguistics has proved influential over the past three decades. At MIT in 1974, Vergnaud (w holder of the Andrew W. Mellon Professorship in Humanities at the University of Southern California) made a proposal in his Ph.D. thesis that has since become, in somewhat modified form, the standard analysis for the derivation of relative clauses. Vergnaud later integrated the proposal within a broader theory of movement and abstract case. These topics have remained central to theoretical linguistics. In this volume, essays by leading theoretical linguists attest to the importance of Jean-Roger Vergnaud's contributions to linguistics. The essays first discuss issues in syntax, documenting important breakthroughs in the development of the principles and parameters framework and including a famous letter (unpublished until recently) from Vergnaud to Noam Chomsky and Howard Lasnik commenting on the first draft of their 1977 paper Filters and Controls. Vergnaud's writings on phology (which, the editors write, take a definite syntactic turn ) have also been influential, and the volume concludes with two contributions to that field. The essays, rewarding from both theoretical and empirical perspectives, t only offer insight into Vergnaud's impact on the field but also describe current work on the issues he introduced into the scholarly debate. ContributorsJoseph Aoun, Elabbas Benmamoun, Cedric Boeckx, Noam Chomsky, B. Elan Dresher, Robert Freidin, Morris Halle, Norbert Hornstein, Richard S. Kayne, Samuel Jay Keyser, Howard Lasnik, Yen-hui Audrey Li, M. Rita Manzini, Karine Megerdoomian, David Michaels, Henk van Riemsdijk, Alain Rouveret, Leonardo M. Savoia, Jean-Roger Vergnaud, Edwin WilliamsRobert Freidin is Professor of the Council of the Humanities in the Philosophy Department at Princeton University. Carlos P. Otero is Professor Emeritus of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of California, Los Angeles. Maria Luisa Zubizarreta is Professor of Linguistics at the University of Southern California.
- Author BiographyRobert Freidin is Professor of the Council of the Humanities in the Philosophy Department at Princeton University.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication13/06/2008
- Series TitleCurrent Studies in Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Number45
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note1 line drawing, 2 tables
- Weight681 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byCarlos P. Otero,Maria Luisa Zubizarreta,Robert Freidin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.