All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fourth edition of the classic textbook offers a firm foundation of kwledge and guidance for library and information science students and professionals alike. Foundations of Library and Information Science will prepare LIS students and professionals to cope with and effectively manage their many complex responsibilities by: * providing an introduction to the LIS field * identifying and discussing the current major topics and issues in LIS that will continue to affect the profession for years to come * providing librarians and information professionals with an opportunity to refresh their kwledge through a systematic review of the major issues and topics that have changed the field * placing LIS in a larger social, political, ecomic, political and cultural context * inviting readers to further explore topics raised in the book. Responding to the many changes occurring both in the field and in society at large, this text includes comprehensive coverage of: * the impact of digital devices and social networking * the impact of digital publishing and e-books * the evolution of library services including virtual reference, embedded librarianship, digital access and repositories, digital preservation and civic engagement * the new efforts to organize kwledge including FRBR, RDF, BIBFRAME, the Semantic Web and the next-generation catalogue (Catalogue 2.0) * the significance of the digital divide and policy issues related to broadband access and network neutrality * legal developments including new interpretations of copyright related to mass digitization of books and scholarly articles * the continuing tensions in LIS education between information science and library science * new initiatives to integrate libraries, archives, and museums. Spanning all types of libraries, from public to academic, school, and special, this book illuminates the major facets of library and information science for aspiring professionals as well as those already practising in the field. The book will be essential reading for students of information science, information and kwledge management, librarianship, archives and records management worldwide. It will also be of interest to students of other information-related disciplines such as museum studies, publishing and information systems, and practitioners in all of these disciplines.
- Author BiographyRichard E. Rubin served as Director of the School of Library and Information Science at Kent State University, Kent, Ohio from 1999-2010, and subsequently became Associate Provost for Extended (Online) Education at KSU until his retirement in 2013.. Dr Rubin is the author of numerous publications.
- Author(s)Richard E. Rubin
- PublisherFacet Publishing
- Date of Publication03/12/2015
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFacet Publishing
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.