All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost people focus on pastoral ministry--the activities, programs, and outreach connected with the life of the church--when considering the work of a pastor. But one of the most important parts of a minister's job is pastoral care--activities such as compassion, healing, sustaining, guiding, and reconciling people to one ather and to God. People today earnestly seek a minister who kws their names and cares about their hurts.Foundations of Pastoral Care introduces both clergy and laity to the ministry skills and personal qualities needed to provide effective care for people inside and outside the church. With thorough examination, Professor Bruce Petersen traces the historical development of soul care from the primitive church and on through the centuries to the church of today. In unit one, he introduces the place of pastoral care in the local church. He emphasizes the unique responsibility of church leaders and pastors to provide spiritual guidance while caring for the physical and emotional needs of their people. In unit two, he examines the pastoral care roles clergy are asked to fill--shepherd, counselor, collaborator, and spiritual leader. In unit three, he addresses the need for a pastoral presence in the life of the church, and in unit four, he concludes with a discussion about the pastor's personal life and the importance of personal spiritual formation.Foundations of Pastoral Care provides the fundamental elements pastors and church leaders need to care for people in meaningful, personal ways with the love, compassion, and grace Christ showed during His ministry on earth.
- Author BiographyBruce L. Petersen spent 28 years in pastoral ministry before accepting his present position as a professor of pastoral ministry at Mount Vernon Nazarene University. He received his doctor of ministry degree from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. In addition to training students for future ministry, he is a frequent church and conference speaker.
- Author(s)Bruce L Petersen
- PublisherBeacon Hill Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2007
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBeacon Hill Press
- Out-of-print date26/11/2014
- Weight658 g
- Width162 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.