All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume draws attention to the seminal studies and important advances that have shaped systematic and biogeographic thinking and continue to influence its direction today. It traces concepts in homology and classification from the 19th century to the present through the provision of a unique anthology of scientific writings from Goethe, Agassiz, Geoffroy St. Hilaire, Owen, Naef, Zangerl and Nelson, among others. In addition, current attitudes and practices in comparative biology are interrogated, particularly in relation to evolutionary studies leading to a re-statement of the principal aims of the discipline.In order to alert prospective students to pitfalls common in systematics and biogeography, the book highlights three principal messages: biological classifications and their explanatory mechanisms are separate tions; most, if t all, homology concepts pre-date the works of Darwin; and that the foundation of all comparative biology is the concept of relationship - neither 'similarity' r 'genealogical hypotheses of descent' are sufficient.
- Author BiographyDavid M. Williams is a diatom researcher and Head of Global Biodiversity Group in the Department of Botany, The Natural History Museum, London. He has published over 150 scientific papers, including 6 books. Among his books he is a co-author of the standard text Cladistics: The Theory and Practice of Parsimony Analysis (1992) and co-editor on Models in Phylogeny Reconstruction (1994) and Milestones in Systematics (2004). He is interested in the history and theory of systematics and biogeography and the systmatics of diatoms. Malte C. Ebach is the WP5 Scientific Coordinator for the European Distributed Institute of Taxonomy at the Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem. His interests include the history and theory of comparative biology (systematics and biogeography), Goethe's way of Science and when he has the time, trilobite taxonomy.
- Author(s)David M. Williams,Malte C. Ebach
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication15/11/2007
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note83 black & white illustrations, 4 black & white tables, biography
- Weight714 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Introduction byG. Nelson
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.