All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $102.86
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.06
- AU $14.37Trending at AU $15.54
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.48
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.33
- AU $30.11Trending at AU $35.77
- AU $28.41Trending at AU $30.53
About this product
- DescriptionA vel set in Scotland during the Great War. On May 21st 1915, an Edinburgh schoolgirl whispered to her sweetheart: I'm just born lucky. Then he left to join his Battalion, preparing to reach Liverpool by rail and embark for the Dardanelles. Around dawn next day, more than 200 Territorials lost their lives in a train crash near Quintinshill junction, the worst ever rail disaster on British soil. Four Florins starts from here and follows groups of people, all somehow connected, through the war years, into the early 1920's. Imaginary characters try to get on with their lives, in the midst of external events w part of history. * The Fenton family - John, war correspondent for the Courier, his elegant wife Dorothy, and their four daughters, Isabella, Anna, Constance and Jemima - were living comfortably in Edinburgh at the outbreak of the First World War. * Jim Nichol, a teacher, volunteers for the Front, and faces death. * His colleague Fiona McNaughton is boring schoolmarm. * Peter and Ellen Beale are a well-off couple intending to adopt a baby. * Miss Margaret and Miss Marion Ballantyne are elderly spinster sisters with great big hearts. * Alastair Ballantyne is by means who he seems to be. * The fascinating Dorinda Buckingham-Black leaves us wondering. Complicated relationships between them, strange coincidences, the stiff upper lip mores of the time, all contrive to provide twists and turns to the story, right to the end. And beyond....
- Author BiographyValeria Jane Wilson has lived, studied and worked in Scotland, Germany and Italy, mainly employed in multi-national companies in shipping-related fields. Research for various non-fiction topics published on-line provided the background for this historical novel, the first in the series Ishbel's Wars.
- Author(s)Valeria J Wilson
- Date of Publication26/03/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Daniele Di Stefano
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.