All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJohn Fowles' 1969 vel The French Lieutenant's Woman has become a modern classic but it is a complex vel and can be daunting to study. This accessible guide offers detailed readings of the text as well as accounts of Fowles' influences and the context of the vel's composition. It also discusses Fowles' manipulation of the story's Victorian setting and source material, and his treatment of key themes such as gender, sexuality and social class. It addresses the reviews and critical reception of the vel, and offers study suggestions and a guide to further reading. A separate section engages with the 1981 film adaptation scripted by Harold Pinter. This introduction to the text is the ideal companion to study, offering guidance on: Literary and historical context; Language, style and form; Reading The French Lieutenant's Woman ; Critical reception and publishing history; Adaptation and interpretation; and Further reading. Continuum Reader's Guides are clear, concise and accessible introductions to key texts in literature and philosophy. Each book explores the themes, context, criticism and influence of key works, providing a practical introduction to close reading, guiding students towards a thorough understanding of the text. They provide an essential, up-to-date resource, ideal for undergraduate students.
- Author BiographyWilliam Stephenson is Senior Lecturer in English at University of Chester. His publications include John Fowles (Northcote House).
- Author(s)William Stephenson
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication25/10/2007
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleA Reader's Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Weight181 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.90Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.40
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.35
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $81.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.