All listings for this product
About this product
- Descriptionna broad sense Design Science is the grammar of a language of images Irather than of words. Modern communication techniques enable us to transmit and reconstitute images without needing to kw a specific verbal sequence language such as the Morse code or Hungarian. International traffic signs use international image symbols which are t specific to any particular verbal language. An image language differs from a verbal one in that the latter uses a linear string of symbols, whereas the former is multi- dimensional. Architectural renderings commonly show projections onto three mutual- ly perpendicular planes, or consist of cross sections at different altitudes capa- ble of being stacked and representing different floor plans. Such renderings make it difficult to imagine buildings comprising ramps and other features which disguise the separation between floors, and consequently limit the cre- ative process of the architect. Analogously, we tend to analyze natural struc- tures as if nature had used similar stacked renderings, rather than, for instance, a system of packed spheres, with the result that we fail to perceive the system of organization determining the form of such structures. Perception is a complex process. Our senses record; they are analogous to audio or video devices. We cant, however, claim that such devices perceive.
- Author BiographyCarl Bovill is an Associate Professor at the University of Maryland at College Park. He has taught at California State University in San Luis Obispo and at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. He has received from the American Institute of Architects both an Education Honors Award, for technical systems integration in design instruction, and the AIA School Medal for excellence in the study of architecture.
- Author(s)Carl Bovill
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication17/10/2012
- Series TitleDesign Science Collection
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight411 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1996
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.