All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen their hard-drinking, but loving, father dies in a car accident, teenage brothers Kyle and Klint Hayes face a bleak prospect: leaving their Pennsylvania hometown for an uncertain life in Arizona with the mother who ran out on them years ago. But in a strange twist of fate, their town s matriarch, an eccentric, wealthy old woman whose family once owned the county coal mines, hears the boys story. Candace Jack doesn t have an ounce of maternal instinct, yet for reasons she does t even understand herself, she is compelled to offer them a home. Suddenly, the two boys go from living in a small, run-down house on a gravel road to a stately mansion filled with sumptuous furnishings and beautiful artwork artwork that s predominantly centered, oddly, on bullfighting. And then there s Miss Jack s real-life bull: Ventisco a regal, hulking, jet-black beast who roams the land she owns with fiery impudence. Kyle adjusts more easily to the transition. A budding artist, he finds a kindred spirit in Miss Jack. But local baseball hero Klint refuses to warm up to his new benefactress and instead throws himself into his game with a fierceness that troubles his little brother. Klint is t just grieving his father s death; he s carrying a terrible secret that he has never revealed to anyone. Unbekwnst to the world, Candace Jack has a secret too a tragic, passionate past in Spain that the boys presence threatens to reveal as she finds herself caring more for them than she ever believed possible. From the muted, bruised hills of Pennsylvania coal country to the colorful, flamboyant bull rings of southern Spain, Tawni O Dell takes us on a riveting journey t only between two completely different lands, but also between seemingly incompatible souls, casting us under her narrative spell in which characters and places are rendered with fragile tenderness. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyTAWNI O DELL is the New York Times bestselling author of Sister Mine, Coal Run, and Back Roads, which was an Oprah Book Club selection and a Book-of-the-Month Club Main Selection. Visit her at www.TawniODell.com From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Tawni O'Dell
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight318 g
- Width136 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $24.41Trending at AU $29.95
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.60
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.13
- AU $20.11Trending at AU $22.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.