All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFragmented Memories is a beautifully rendered exploration of how, during the 1990s, socially and ecomically marginalized people in the rth-eastern Indian state of Assam sought to produce a past on which to base a distinctive identity recognized within late-twentieth-century India. Yasmin Saikia describes how groups of Assamese identified themselves as Tai-Ahom--a people with a glorious past stretching back to the invasion of what is w Assam by Ahom warriors in the thirteenth century. In her account of the 1990s Tai-Ahom identity movement, Saikia considers the problem of competing identities in India, the significance of place and culture, and the outcome of the memory-building project of the Tai-Ahom. Assamese herself, Saikia learned the Tai-Ahom language and some Thai and Lao. Between 1994 and 1996 she lived in several different Tai-Ahom villages; spoke with political activists, intellectuals, militant leaders, shamans, students, and ordinary people; and observed and participated in Tai-Ahom religious, social, and political events. She read Tai-Ahom sacred texts and did archival research--looking at colonial documents and government reports--in Calcutta, New Delhi, and London. In Fragmented Memories, Saikia reveals the different narratives relating to the Tai-Ahom as told by the postcolonial Indian government, British colonists, and various texts reaching back to the thirteenth century. She shows how Tai-Ahom identity is produced and performed in Assam and also in Thailand. Revealing how the dead history of Ahom has been transformed into living memory to demand rights of citizenship, Fragmented Memories is a landmark history told from the periphery of the Indian nation.
- Author BiographyYasmin Saikia is Assistant Professor of History at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. She is the author of In the Meadows of Gold: Telling Tales of the Swargadeos at the Crossroads of Assam.
- Author(s)Yasmin Saikia
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication09/11/2004
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note1 b&w photograph 3 maps
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.24Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.