Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $99.08Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $129.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMark Cohen is the quintessential street photographer, using an aggressive approach in which he closes in on strangers with a camera and flash before they're aware of being photographed. His stark images made on the streets of Wilkes-Barre and other working-class Pennsylvania towns capture moments, gestures, and emotions that, because they might be invisible to others' sensibilities, testify to Cohen's innately superior perception, his gift of precise and ingenious visual ordering. His work received early recognition, with a one-person show at the Museum of Modern Art in 1973 when he was just thirty, and it has garnered critical acclaim ever since. Today, Cohen's work is held in over thirty prominent international collections, ranging from the Metropolitan Museum in New York City to the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography. Frame is the first retrospective of Mark Cohen's career. It presents over two hundred and fifty images, about one hundred of which have never been published, and includes work from Spain, Ireland, England, Italy, and Mexico, as well as America. The book showcases both the black-and-white photography for which Cohen is best kwn and his occasional forays into color. Cohen himself sequenced the images, and their rhythm and sometimes surprising juxtapositions reveal an eloquence and depth of artistry beyond anything seen in his previous publications. Curator and art historian Jane Livingston, who has kwn Cohen throughout his career, provides an introduction that places his work within the tradition of street photography, while also celebrating the elusive qualities that set it apart from anyone else working in the genre.
- Author BiographyMark Cohen's photography is in many major collections, including the Museum of Modern Art; the Art Institute of Chicago; the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; the Whitney Museum of American Art; the George Eastman House; and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. He has published four previous books-Frame, Grim Street, True Color, and Dark Knees-and his work has been included in over eighty individual and group exhibitions. Livingston is a highly respected curator and writer whose books include The New York School: Photographs, 1936-1963 and The Art of Richard Diebenkorn.
- Author(s)Mark Cohen
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication13/10/2015
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note221 b&w and 36 color photos
- Weight1786 g
- Width250 mm
- Height275 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Introduction byJane Livingston
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $22.76Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.