All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most elusive and enigmatic creative geniuses of modern times, Francis Bacon was a man of endless contradictions and facets. In this invaluable book Michael Peppiatt, a major art critic and close friend of Bacon's, offers an entertaining and uniquely well-informed portrait of this complex artist. Peppiatt's collection of interviews and essays spans more than forty years--from 1963, when the two men met, to 2007, when Peppiatt wrote an essay explaining Bacon's passionate involvement with Van Gogh. The pieces in between include discussions of Bacon's working methods and techniques, his unlikely relationship with his London dealer, his attitude toward Christian belief and classical myth, and his defining friendship with the eminent French writer Michel Leiris. Peppiatt also provides fascinating anecdotes about the artist's early life, his intimate relationships, and his connections with the artists who were his contemporaries and friends. In addition, among the interviews reproduced for the book are new transcripts of two interviews presenting previously omitted material that brings out many little-kwn aspects of Bacon's presence and personality.
- Author BiographyMichael Peppiatt is the leading authority on Francis Bacon. He has written the definitive biography of the artist and curated several influential exhibitions of his work.
- Author(s)Michael Peppiatt
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication05/09/2008
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note35 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight862 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $32.31Trending at AU $39.85
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.