All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA historian who lived the kind of history he wrote, Francis Parkman is a major-and controversial-figure in American historiography. His narrative style, while popular with readers wanting a good story, has raised many questions with professional historians. Was Parkman writing history or historical fiction? Did he color historical figures with his own heroic self-image? Was his objectivity compromised by his unbending, conservative, Brahmin values? These are some of the many issues that Wilbur Jacobs treats in this thought-provoking study. Jacobs carefully considers the apprenticeship of Francis Parkman, first spent in facing the rigors of the Oregon Trail and later in struggling to write his histories despite a mysterious, frequently incapacitating illness. He shows how these events allowed Parkman to create a heroic self-image, which impelled his desire for fame as a historian and influenced his treatment of both the ble and the savage characters of his histories. In addition to assessing the influence of Parkman's development and personality on his histories, Jacobs comments on Parkman's relationship to basic social and cultural issues of the nineteenth century. These include the slavery question, Native American issues, expansion of the suffrage to new groups, including women, and anti-Catholicism.
- Author BiographyWilbur R. Jacobs (1918-1998) was Professor of History at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Author(s)Wilbur R. Jacobs
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2011
- SubjectBiography: General
- Series TitleAmerican Studies Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note38 b&w illus.
- Weight381 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $86.95New
- AU $40.99Used
- AU $112.52New
- AU $97.37Used
- AU $33.12New
- AU $30.22New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $30.69New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.84
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.21
- AU $60.93Trending at AU $62.81
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.50
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.11
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.10
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $23.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.