All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the broad application of queer theories to the original plays of the contemporary Irish dramatist Frank McGuinness, the only author in Ireland to consistently utilize gay and lesbian themes in his writing. McGuinness continually represents sexual difference in his character development in a way that previous Irish authors have t. In particular McGuinness portrays homosexual protagonists in his dramas, allowing the queer the narrative prerogative, t merely a secondary role in the formation of theatrical perspective. Often it is the homosexual who tells the story or alters the plot through his or her alternative perspective. This book t only analyzes the queer in McGuinness's work, but also contributes to a widening of the conversation and criticism on Irish theatre in general. Its implementation of the internationally recognized paradigm of analysis, queer theory, is cutting-edge in its contribution to the general field of Irish studies as well. As a result of its two-fold agenda of theatrical and cultural analysis, this book t only brings together theories of the queer and the theatre of McGuinness, but it also maps the way in which this queer dramaturgy intersects with contemporary Irish society as it faces a new era of cultural re-invention.
- Author BiographyDavid Cregan is Associate Professor in the Theatre Department at Villanova University. He earned his doctorate from the Samuel Beckett School of Drama at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. He is also the author of Deviant Acts: Essays on Queer Performance (2009).
- Author(s)David Cregan
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication10/06/2011
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleIrish Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number12
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight450 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.