All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionAmerican Catholics had long been a crucial voting bloc in the United States, particularly in the Democratic Party. With the nation mired in ecomic depression and the threat of war looming across the Atlantic, in 1932 Catholics had to weigh, perhaps more seriously than ever before, political allegiance versus religious affiliation. Many chose party over religion, electing Frankiln D. Roosevelt, a Protestant. No stone goes unturned in this volume, which grew out of an international conference in 1998 held at the Franklin and Elear Roosevelt Institute in Hyde Park, New York. From the multiplicity of Catholic responses to the New Deal, through Roosevelt's diplomatic relationship with the Vatican during the Second World War, and on to the response of the United States and the Vatican to the Holocaust, this book expands our understanding of a fascinating and largely unexplored aspect of Roosevelt's presidency. A complex blend of religion and politics, with the added ingredients of ecomics and war, this diverse, insightful collection promises an intellectual feast for those with an interest in virtually any aspect of American history during the Roosevelt era.
- Author BiographyDAVID B. WOOLNER is Executive Director of the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute and Assistant Professor of History at Marist College, Poughkeepsie, USA. He is the editor of The Second Quebec Conference Revisited: Waging War, Formulating Peace - Canada, Great Britain and the United States in 1944-1945 (Palgrave, 1998). RICHARD KURIAL is Dean of Arts and Associate Professor of History at the University of Prince Island in Charlottetown, Canada. He is completing Visions of an Arctic Empire: The Diplomatic Wrangle over Wrangel Island.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication13/05/2010
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleThe World of the Roosevelt's
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2003
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight401 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDavid B. Woolner,Richard G. Kurial
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.