Free: The End of the Human Condition: The Biological Reason Why Humans Have Had to be Individual, Competitive, Egocentric and Aggressive by Jeremy Griffith (Paperback, 1988)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.31Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $17.95Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by expressbooksaustralia
- Est. delivery by 6 Mar
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGriffith's first book that introduces the reader to the issue of the human condition and his biological explanation of it. It describes how the anger and selfishness felt by humans is the result of a conflict between two factions within ourselves -- the gene-based instinctive self struggling against the nerve-based intellect's need and responsibility to understand existence. The conflict caused humans to live with an undeserved sense of guilt that understanding w ameliorates.
- Author BiographyJeremy Griffith (1945-) is an Australian biologist who has dedicated his life to bringing fully accountable, biological understanding to the dilemma of the human condition--the underlying issue in all human life of our species' extraordinary capacity for what has been called 'good' and 'evil'. While it's undeniable that humans are capable of great love and empathy, we also have an unspeakable history of greed, hatred, rape, torture, murder and war; a propensity for deeds so shocking and overwhelming that the eternal question of 'Why?' has seemed depressingly inexplicable. Even in our everyday behaviour, why, when the ideals of life are to be cooperative, selfless and loving, are we so ruthlessly competitive and selfish that human life has become all but unbearable and our planet near destroyed? How could we humans possibly be considered good when all the evidence seems to unequivocally indicate that we are a deeply flawed, bad, even 'evil' species? For most people, trying to think about this ultimate of questions of whether we humans are fundamentally good or not has been an unbearably self-confronting exercise. Indeed, the issue of the human condition has been so depressing for virtually all humans that only a rare few individuals have been sound and secure enough in self to go anywhere near the subject. Nurtured by a sheltered upbringing in the Australian bush (countryside), Jeremy is one of those rare few. His soundness and resulting extraordinary integrity and thus clarity of thought, coupled with his training in biology, has enabled him to successfully grapple with this most foreboding of all subjects of the human condition and produce the breakthrough, human-behaviour-demystifying-and-ameliorating explanation of it, which is presented in all his publications, including his summa masterpiece, 2015 book, 'FREEDOM: The End Of The Human Condition'
- Author(s)Jeremy Griffith
- PublisherWTM Publishing & Communications Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/1988
- SubjectPopular Science
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintFHA Publishing & Communications Pty Ltd,
- Content Note15 b/w images throughout text
- Weight302 g
- Width137 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.