All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy do so many people around the world appear willing to give up freedoms in return for security or prosperity? For the past 60 years it had been assumed that capitalism was intertwined with liberal democracy. But what happens when both are undermined? Governments globally have drawn up a new pact with their peoples: repression is confined to the few who openly challenge the status quo. The rest of the population can enjoy freedom to live more or less as they wish, and to make and spend their money. This is the difference between public freedoms and private freedoms. We choose different freedoms we are prepared to cede. We all do it. Freedom for Sale will set a new agenda. It will crucially ask why so many intelligent and ambitious citizens around the world seemed prepared to sacrifice freedom of the press and freedom of speech in their quest for wealth.
- Author BiographyJohn Kampfner is the author of three previous books including a biography of Robin Cook and the acclaimed BLAIR'S WARS, a devastating survey of the Prime Minister's foreign policy. He lives in London.
- PrizesShortlisted for Orwell Prize 2010.
- Author(s)John Kampfner
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication27/05/2010
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPocket Books
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.