All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf capitalism is such an efficient system, why does 40 percent of all U.S. food production go to waste while one in six people in the nation face hunger? This startling truth has stirred increasing interest and action of late, but ne so radical as that of the freegans, who live on what capitalism throws away including food culled from supermarket dumpsters. Freegans is a close look at the people in this movement, offering a broader perspective on ethical consumption and the changing nature of capitalism.Freegans object to the overconsumption and environmental degradation on which they claim our ecomic order depends, and they register that dissent by opting out of it, recovering, redistributing, and consuming wasted goods, from dumpster-dived food to cast-off clothes and furniture. Through several years of fieldwork and in-depth interviews with freegans in New York City, Alex Barnard has created a portrait of freegans that leads to questions about ethical consumption like buying organic, fair trade, or vegan and the search for effective forms of action in an era of political disillusionment.Barnard s analysis of this pressing concern reveals how waste is integrally bound up with our food system. At the same time, by showing that markets do t seamlessly translate preferences expressed at the cash register into changes in production, Freegans exposes the limits of consumer activism.
- Author BiographyAlex V. Barnard is a doctoral candidate in sociology at the University of California, Berkeley, and a food justice activist.
- Author(s)Alex V. Barnard
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2016
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationMinnesota
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Weight363 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.