All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter seeing service with the Austrian Army in World War I, the author joined the newly created Polish Army in 1918. By September 1939 he was commanding 21st Infantry Regiment in the Battle of Warsaw against overwhelming German forces. Taken prisoner, he escaped to join the Polish Army in France before evacuating to England. In 1941 he formed the First Polish Independent Parachute Brigade and trained and commanded it for the next three years. While created for the liberation of Poland, the Brigade and the author parachuted into Arnhem in September 1944 and fought with great courage. His frank style and opinions resulted in major disagreements with his British senior officers such as 'Boy' Browning and he was forced to resign. Freely I Served is both a personal memoir and a tribute to the many brave Polish soldiers who fought to regain their country from occupation. An inspiring and revealing book.
- Author BiographyBorn in 1892 Stanislav Sosabowski fought in The Great War with the Austrian Army before joining the new Polish Army in 1918. His service during the Second World War is recounted in this book. Post-war he was active in Veteran affairs. He died in Warsaw in 1967.
- Author(s)Stanislaw Sosabowski
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.