All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA spotlight on French landscape painters of the first half of the 20th century which is a true hymn to nature Eight French painters born after 1870 are brought together for the first time in an exhibition that highlights their mutual affinities and charts their respective influences and evolutions. Aside from Gaston Balande (1880-1971), who is well kwn for his art deco wall murals designed for transatlantic ships, and Paul Deltombe (1878-1971), who benefited from a retrospective exhibition in 1970, the work of the other painters collected here has remained uncelebrated for far too long. The present exhibition and its catalogue aim to repair this oversight, as well as to reignite the study of this generation of French painters who, without turning their back on the avant-gardists, concentrated primarily on the traditional genre of landscape, and to a lesser degree on still-lifes. The 80 works of art, mainly painted between the wars, are at the crossroads of the many influences of this creative period, where tradition and the avant-garde blended together without restraint. This syncretism is frequently illustrated by landscapes where the diversity reflects the search for new effects and beautiful themes as well as an appetite for travel and discoveries. This parama of Douce France signals the last breath for this pictorial style that was the inheritor and continuation of the Impressionist movement a status that was bound to be lost forever after the Second World War.
- Author BiographyEmmanuel Van de Putte is the director of the Chester Collections in Geneva. Serge Lemoine is a French art historian. Bertrand Dumas is a journalist and teacher at the Institut d'Etudes Superieures des Arts in Paris.
- Author(s)Emmanuel van de Putte,Philippe Clerc
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationMilan
- Country of PublicationItaly
- Content Noteill
- Weight1310 g
- Width245 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.