All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is arguably the case, writes William Parsons, that two figures have had more influence on the course of Western introspective thought than Freud and Augustine. Yet it is commonly assumed that Freud and Augustine would have thing to say to each other with regard to spirituality or mysticism, given the former's alleged antipathy to religion and the latter's t usually being considered a mystic.
Adopting an interdisciplinary, dialogical, and transformational framework for interpreting Augustine's spiritual journey in his Confessions, Parsons places a mystical theology at the heart of Augustine's narrative and argues that his mysticism has been misunderstood partly because of the limited nature of the psychological models applied to it. At the same time, he expands Freud's therapeutic legacy to incorporate the contemporary findings of physiology and neuroscience that have been influenced in part by modern spirituality.
Parsons develops a new psychological hermeneutic to account for Augustine's mysticism that will capture the imagination of contemporary readers who are both psychologically informed and interested in spirituality. The author intends this interpretive model t only to engage modern introspective concerns about developmental conflict and the power of the unconscious but also to reach a more nuanced level of insight into the origins and the nature of the self.
- Author BiographyWilliam B. Parsons, Professor of Religious Studies at Rice University,USA is the author of The Enigma of the Oceanic Feeling: Revisioning the Psychoanalytic Theory of Mysticism, editor of Teaching Mysticism, and the coeditor of Mourning Religion (Virginia).
- Author(s)William B. Parsons
- PublisherUniversity of Virginia Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleStudies in Religion and Culture
- Place of PublicationCharlottesville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Virginia Press
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.